Instead I have been practising hand cutting dovetails for the past couple of weeks and as it often happens this became a project in itself.
Instead of practising on scrap, I thought I would make dovetail boxes. I had some rubber wood pieces left from a previous project which I used.
The toughest part was to accurately mark the pins on the ends of the pieces that would form the pins. Even a slight shake can lead to disaster as the cuts need to perfectly match the dimensions of the tails. I tried to copy a design for a jig to hold the pins piece in place but could not make one accurately. I will try to make the jig again and in the meanwhile tried to do the marking without the jig.
|Fitting the Dovetails|
|Dovetail box with lid|
I suppose the gaps are tolerable but I am not fully satisfied. More practice is called for.
In the meanwhile, I have built two boxes which I intend to fine tune and finish over the next weekend.
|Dovetail Box with open top|
I made one of the boxes with an open top to which I intend to fit a lid with a quarter inch or so overhang. The first box has been made with the lid attached; the top will have to be sawed off to make the lid.
|Lid for Box with Inlay|
I do not plan to go ahead with the tool chest project until I feel more confident about cutting a whole lot of dovetails for the carcass.
12 March 2014