December Musings

My petunias are beginning to bloom - December is a lovely month!

I am aware that I have been neglecting my blog. That is partly because I am in the process of doing a whole lot of things, tending to my petunias for one.

My woodworking has been largely restricted to milling wood.

Some Teak pieces planed painstakingly. I have to mill about a dozen such pieces.

I have piles and piles of planks to go through and can manage one a day. I have been ripping, sizing and planing material for several projects that are in the making. I have also made mortise and tenons, cut dovetails and have practised how to saw straight.

The space under my workbench is rapidly filling up with semi finished parts of ongoing projects.

There is nothing much to write about planing wood and sawing. Hence the lack of posts.

I have also been visiting exhibitions and stores to learn about alternative materials like aluminium, steel, man-made boards, aluminium composite panels and so on. I need to do some DIY work around the house and wood is not always the best material to use.

In the meanwhile, I am learning a whole lot about wood, including the difference between and within species, how to handle difficult grain and how to select pieces for different projects.

By working with different wood species, I am only beginning to appreciate the complex character of wood.

Much of what I have picked up is subtle and difficult to describe. It is mainly about getting to know the feel of wood and developing an understanding of the variable nature of this wonderful resource.

There is so little time. December will end soon and so will the year. Winter will soon be gone. I must hurry.

Indranil Banerjie
14 December 2014

Comments

  1. Really quite enjoy your blog. As a northern hemisphere woodworker (maple is everywhere here), seeing 'exotic tropicals' in a hobbyist state is quite interesting. I had no idea that teak had such a variation between heartwood and sapwood.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes, particularly in this lot of teak I got. Most look as if they are from young trees that did not get a chance to gorw very big or thick.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Add your comment here...